Thursday, September 11, 2008

I understand now. No Sarah, I don't want to go back.

I came of age in the 70s, raised Catholic and impressionable in a suburb of New York City.  One day in my 13th year, my mother, a devout Catholic and a teacher, asked me if i wanted to join her on a march in New York City.  I said yes, excited because for us, a trip to the city was a rare treat.

What I didn't understand at the time was that my mother was part of what would now be called a "pro-life" group.  So I went, and carried a sign that said something like "Don't kill babies," and marched down Fifth Avenue alongside my entire clique of friends.

As I walked, I noticed a group of 20-something women staring at us.  I smiled at them, thinking that they were cool and sophisticated.  Not one of them smiled back.  One woman snarled at me, "You have no idea what you are talking about."

I was stunned at the vehemence in her voice, the hatred in her eyes.  I continued south on Fifth Avenue in silence.  I never forgot that moment.  As I grew and heard of the horror stories of back alleys, coat hangers and sepsis, I understood...and was ashamed of my naivete.

Today, older and wiser at 50, I look back at that moment and now understand the frustration.  The selection of Sarah Palin threatens to turn back the hands of time for all women.  Is this shrill, gun-toting creationist who kills animals for fun and would deny women the right to control their own destiny what we want our daughters and granddaughters to emulate?  I sincerely doubt it.

I resent the fact that the Republican fanatics think that American women are so stupid that we would vote for McCain just by virtue of the presence of a uterus on the ticket.  Women of America, register and vote this November.  Don't let the Republicans turn back the clock. 

2 comments:

melanie said...

We had that same discussion at work. She's a war-monger with a D.S. baby and a pregnant teen at home! How the hell is she supposed to "answer that call" at 4 AM when she's downstairs warming a bottle cause the little mommy went out drinking???

David Malloy said...

While your logic is sound and you illustrate clear points, we have to often remind ourselves that the logic we adhere to, is not at all the logic of all others. To this, I speak of how voters choose their candidate. Some use the logic of "Who best represents my needs and desires?" Others are less thoughtful and may vote for the candidate "they can have a beer with."

I think a lot of people this election year are going to vote for McCain simply because of his VP nominee, Sarah Palin. There are a lot of hard working mothers who run from soccer games to band practice to work to grocery stores (oh who am I kidding? You know more of it than I!). In a twisted bit of logic, those mothers are empowered by Sarah Palin because they feel a personal connection with her. Sarah is who they are - and the egotist in us all wants to see someone like us in a position of such importance. It gives us a feeling of hope and promise, that maybe someday, just someday, we can be President too.

By the way, you'll love this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anxkrm9uEJk